Exercise 4: Candy Challenge
Part 1: Diffusing Skittles
In this demonstration, you will observe the diffusion of the sugary coating and dye of skittles into three different solutions. The three solutions are as follows:
Warm tap water at 32oC,
Warm sugar water at 32oC (8 sugar cubes were dissolved in half a cup of water),
and Hot tap water at 42oC.
Part II: Ballooning Gummy Bears
Gummy Bears have a selectively permeable coating which allows water molecules to diffuse across the coating but inhibits other larger molecules from crossing. In this demonstration, you will see the results of an experiment in which gummy bears were immersed into one of three solutions: 1% salt water, 10% salt water and tap water. I repeated the experiment for orange, red, green and yellow gummy bears, such that 1 bear of each colour was immersed in each of the solutions in individual glasses. Glasses containing bears of one colour were placed in the fridge for 24 hours. The other three colours were kept at room temperature. All the bears weighed 2 g before being immersed into the solutions. On the following page you can see the photos and weights of the bears after 24 hours. Determine which gummy bears were placed into which solutions (0%, 1% and 10% salt) and which colour (orange, red, green and yellow) was placed in the fridge. Explain how you know with reference to the process of osmosis.
Figure 1. Gummy Bears after being immersed in three different solutions for 24 hrs. Which bears (3, 2, or 1) were placed in the 10%, 1% or 0% salt solution? Which colour set (orange, red, green or yellow) was put in the fridge?
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Order it here claim 25% discount
Discount Code: SAVE25