A population of perennial wildflowers Mimulus lewisii, was surveyed in Oregon in 1920 and again in 2020. The flowers of this plant are bee-pollinated and have 2 alleles for flower color, the dominant pink (P) and recessive white (p). The 1920 survey found the frequencies of p alleles from 5 samples to be 0.474, 0.4102, 0.485, 0.546, and 0.479. The summed values for the flower surveyed in 1920 were: 247 (PP), 410 (Pp), and 233 (pp). After the 2020 survey, the frequencies of p alleles from another 5 samples were 0.157, 0.120, 0.124, 0.087, and 0.089, while the summed values for the flower surveyed in 2020 were: 55 (PP), 679 (Pp, and 3084 (pp). Did the population show evidence of evolution over the 100 years?
This population does show evolution, as there is a significant change in the frequency of the p allele over time (tcalculated = 12.3, p<0.001, d.f. =4). b. The t-test was not significant (p>0.05), so there was no evidence for change in the frequency of the p allele, so no evolution occurred.
This population does show evolution, as there is a significant difference in the numbers expected in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium (χ2 calculated = 6.185 > 5.991, d.f. =2).
I cannot calculate it from the information provided.
This population does not show evolution, as there is no significant change in the number of genotypes over time relative to the initial frequencies (χ2 calculated < 3.84, d.f. =1).
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Order it here claim 25% discount
Discount Code: SAVE25